Calvin’s lab utilizes sequencing technologies and image based phenotyping to address fundamental questions in cell biology. They seek to understand how age related changes in cell state relate to physiological decline and contribute to disease susceptibility.
As a Ph.D. student in David Bartel’s lab at the Whitehead, Calvin studied the mechanisms and evolution of mRNA and small non-coding RNA biogenesis pathways. He then moved to the University of California at San Francisco, where as a postdoc with Jonathan Weissman, he developed methods based on ribosome profiling to interrogate translation with subcellular resolution.
- Postdoc with Jonathan Weissman, University of California at San Francisco
- Ph.D. in Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- B.S. in Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California at Los Angeles
- NIH K99/R00 Pathway to Independence Award - 2014
- Rebecca Ridley Kry Fellow of the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation - 2011