Information we collect
The types of Personal Information we may collect and our privacy practices depend on the nature of the relationship you have with Calico and the requirements of applicable law. We endeavor to collect information only relevant for our business needs.
- Information you submit. We collect information whenever you provide it to us directly, such as when you submit a job application, resume, or curriculum vitae or enroll in an event or program. We also collect information you submit directly via email or when you click on our website links such as “email@example.com”.
- Research data. Calico processes information collected by others in a manner consistent with our research partners’ regulatory and data protection requirements.
- Human Resources Information. Calico collects information from current, prospective and former employees (“Human Resources Information”). The Human Resources Information we may collect is as follows:
From Prospective Employees—Name, title, address, phone number, email address, language abilities, and information that may be recorded on a CV or application form.
From Current and Former Employees—Passport number, driver’s license number, social security number (or other government-issued identification), contact information of third parties to be notified in case of emergencies, bank details for bankroll, beneficiaries under insurance policies, and details of health and disability, medical leave, and parental leave.
- Cookies, local storage, and log information. We use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit our website. This may include storing one or more cookies, small files containing a string of characters, to your device when you visit a website. Cookies may also store user preferences and other information. You have the ability to delete cookie files from your local storage at any time by clicking on the Privacy or History tab typically found in the Settings or Options menu of your internet browser, however, note that cookies may be necessary to provide access some features of Calico’s website. We may also collect and store information using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML5) and application data caches.
When you view content provided by Calico on our website, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include: Internet protocol address, device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL, and cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
How we use information we collect
We primarily use the information to advance our aging research or to support our relationship with you. We may also use information to develop, maintain, protect, and improve our web site and to protect Calico and our users and partners. Specific reasons we may process and use the information include:
- Administrative purposes. Calico may use the information collected for its administrative purposes, including, without limitation, to: (a) measure interest in Calico’s research and our website content; (b) comply with regulatory requirements; (c) manage our agreements and your relationship with us; (d) maintain data integrity, quality and protection, and (e) prevent potentiality prohibited or illegal activities.
- Response to inquiries. Calico may record, store, and internally use the content of any communications submitted by you when you contact Calico, including any ideas, inventions, concepts, techniques, or know-how disclosed therein. Calico does not release your name or otherwise publicize the fact that you submitted materials or other information to us unless: (a) you grant us permission to do so, and (b) we first send notice to you that the materials or other information you submitted will be published or otherwise used.
- Human Resources management. We store and use the Human Resources Information we collect for a wide variety of business purposes including, for the types of employees noted:
For Current and Former Employees—Compensation (including bonus and long-term incentive administration), job grading activities, regulatory compliance, internal and/or external or governmental compliance investigations, job grading activities, internal or external audits, litigation evaluation, prosecution and defense; diversity and inclusion initiatives; workflow management, assigning, managing and administering projects; Human Resources administration and communication, emergency contacts and services, compliance with statutory requirements, compensation analysis, including monitoring overtime and compliance with labor laws and company recognition programs; performance and employee development management, organizational development and succession planning, benefits and personnel administration, absence management, and restructuring and relocation.
For Current Employees—Helpdesk and IT support services, network and device security, employee safety, processing of employee expenses and travel charges; and acquisitions, divestitures and integrations.
Human Resources Information that Calico receives in connection with the employment relationship will only be used for employment-related purposes. If Calico intends to use this information for any other purpose, the Company will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of such uses.
We may use Google Analytics to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on our Site to aid website content development. This analytics data is not tied to any Personal Information. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit this site. Google Analytics does not recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals, a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. You can opt out of tracking and Google Analytics processing of data generated by your use of the Services by opting out here.
Calico may provide websites and online resources that are specifically designed to be compatible and used on mobile devices. Calico will collect information that your mobile device sends when you use such websites or online resources, like a device identifier, user settings, and the operating system of your device, to help customize the appearance of website information to your device.
- Other uses. Calico may also use the information we collect to: generally manage individual information and accounts; respond to questions, comments and requests; provide access to certain areas and features of the Calico sites; ensure internal quality control; verify individual identity; enable individuals to register for events or participate in seminars; communicate about individual account and activities, and, in Calico’s discretion, changes to any Calico policy; tailor content presented to individuals; process applications and transactions; comply with law or regulatory requirements; and for purposes disclosed at the time that individuals provide information or otherwise with consent.
Transparency and choice
Where you have consented to Calico’s use of your Personal Information or sensitive Personal Information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and opt out by contacting Calico at firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, before we use Personal Information for any new purpose not originally authorized by you, we will provide information regarding the new purpose and give you the opportunity to opt out.
Information we share
We do not share Personal Information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Calico unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent. We will share Personal Information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of Calico when permissible under our partner agreements or we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any Personal Information relating to sensitive Personal Information (i.e., confidential medical facts, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs, or sexuality).
With respect to onward transfers to Agents under Privacy Shield, Privacy Shield requires that Calico remain liable should its Agents process Personal Information in a manner inconsistent with the Privacy Shield Principles.
- For legal reasons. We will share Personal Information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of Calico if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation, or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request;
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues;
- protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of Calico, our users, or the public as required or permitted by law; or
- if we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is otherwise necessary or advisable.
All Personal Information sent or collected via or by Calico may be stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, in the United States, in the cloud, our servers, the servers of our affiliates or the servers of our service providers.
Rights of Access, Rectification, Erasure and Restriction
The security of all Personal Information provided to Calico is important to us, and Calico takes reasonable steps designed to protect your Personal Information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while Calico strives to protect your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Calico, and you do so at your own risk. If you have reason to believe that your Personal Information is no longer secure, please promptly notify Company at email@example.com.
Calico will comply with agreements that limit how we use information provided to us.
Due to the nature of Calico’s business, services and benefits are not marketed to children. Calico does not knowingly solicit or collect Personal Information from children. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from a child, we will promptly delete that information.
Questions & Enforcement
Calico Life Sciences, LLC
1170 Veterans Blvd.
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Calico will address your concerns and attempt to resolve any privacy issues in a timely manner.