Information we collect
The categories of Personal Information we may collect and our privacy practices depend on the nature of the relationship you have with Calico and the requirements of applicable law. We endeavor to collect information only relevant for our business needs.
- Information you submit. We collect information whenever you provide it to us directly, such as when you submit a job application, resume, or curriculum vitae or enroll in an event or program. We also collect information you submit directly via email or when you click on our website links such as “firstname.lastname@example.org”.
- Research data. Calico processes information for research, including, for example from bio- and tissue banks, third party datasets and/or data repositories, other collaboration partners, and in the context of clinical trials. Such information may be collected by Calico and/or by others in a manner consistent with any consents signed by the individuals to whom the information relates (such as sample donors and research participants), as well as regulatory and data protection requirements.
- Human Resources Information. Calico collects information from current,
prospective and former employees (“Human Resources Information”). The Human
Resources Information we may collect is as
From Prospective Employees—Name, title, address, phone number, email address, language abilities, and information that may be recorded on a CV or application form.
From Current and Former Employees—Passport number, driver’s license number, social security number (or other government-issued identification), contact information of third parties to be notified in case of emergencies, bank details for bankroll, beneficiaries under insurance policies, and details of health and disability, medical leave, and parental leave.
- Cookies, local storage, and log information. We use various technologies to
collect and store information when you visit our website. This may include
storing one or more cookies, small files containing a string of characters, to
your device when you visit a website. Cookies may also store user preferences
and other information. You have the ability to delete cookie files from your
local storage at any time by clicking on the Privacy or History tab typically
found in the Settings or Options menu of your internet browser, however, note
that cookies may be necessary to provide access some features of Calico’s
website. We may also collect and store information using mechanisms such as
browser web storage (including HTML5) and application data caches.
When you view content provided by Calico on our website, we may automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This may include: Internet protocol address, device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL, and cookies that may uniquely identify your browser.
How we use information we collect
We primarily use the information to advance our research or to support our relationship with you. We may also use information to develop, maintain, protect, and improve our web site and to protect Calico and our users and partners. Specific reasons we may process and use the information include:
- Administrative purposes. Calico may use the information collected for its administrative purposes, including, without limitation, to: (a) measure interest in Calico’s research and our website content; (b) comply with regulatory requirements; (c) manage our agreements and your relationship with us; (d) maintain data integrity, quality and protection, and (e) prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities.
- Research and Safety. Calico may use information to conduct research, including clinical trials, develop hypotheses and protocols for future studies, and contribute to the creation of pharmaceutical and other products to help enhance longevity and healthy aging and for other legitimate purposes. We are also obligated to collect certain Personal Information to comply with regulatory requirements, including information relating to any adverse effects you may have experienced during a Calico-sponsored trial or when using our products.
- Human Resources management.We store and use the Human Resources Information
we collect for a wide variety of business purposes including, for the types of employees
For Current and Former Employees—Compensation (including bonus and long-term incentive administration), job grading activities, regulatory compliance, internal and/or external or governmental compliance investigations, job grading activities, internal or external audits, litigation evaluation, prosecution and defense; diversity and inclusion initiatives; workflow management, assigning, managing and administering projects; Human Resources administration and communication, emergency contacts and services, compliance with statutory requirements, compensation analysis, including monitoring overtime and compliance with labor laws and company recognition programs; performance and employee development management, organizational development and succession planning, benefits and personnel administration, absence management, and restructuring and relocation.
For Current Employees—Helpdesk and IT support services, network and device security, employee safety, and processing of employee expenses and travel charges.
Human Resources Information that Calico receives in connection with the employment relationship will only be used for employment-related purposes. If Calico intends to use this information for any other purpose, the Company will provide you with an opportunity to opt-out of such uses.
visitors, record user preferences, and measure the effectiveness of our site.
We may use Google Analytics to collect information regarding visitor behavior and visitor demographics on our Site to aid website content development. This analytics data is not tied to any Personal Information. For more information about Google Analytics, please visit this site. Google Analytics does not recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track (“DNT”) signals, a privacy preference that users can set in certain web browsers. You can opt out of tracking and Google Analytics processing of data generated by your use of the Services by opting out here.
Calico may provide websites and online resources that are specifically designed to be compatible and used on mobile devices. Calico will collect information that your mobile device sends when you use such websites or online resources, like a device identifier, user settings, and the operating system of your device, to help customize the appearance of website information to your device.
- Other uses. Calico may also use the information we collect to: generally manage individual information and accounts; respond to questions, comments and requests; provide access to certain areas and features of the Calico sites; ensure internal quality control; verify individual identity; enable individuals to register for events or participate in seminars; communicate about individual account and activities; at Calico’s discretion, make changes to any Calico policy; tailor content presented to individuals; process applications and transactions; comply with law or regulatory requirements; undertake activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service; undertake internal research for technological development and demonstration; detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecute those responsible for that activity; debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality; and for purposes disclosed at the time that individuals provide information or otherwise with consent.
Transparency and choice
Where you have consented to Calico’s use of your Personal Information or sensitive Personal Information, you may withdraw that consent at any time and opt out by following the directions provided in the consent you provided (for example, within the informed consent form associated with a clinical trial in which you participate) or, if no such directions were provided, by contacting Calico at email@example.com. Additionally, before we use Personal Information for any new purpose not originally authorized by you, we will endeavor to provide information regarding the new purpose and give you the opportunity to opt out.
Information we share
We do not share Personal Information with companies, organizations and individuals outside of Calico unless one of the following circumstances applies:
- With your consent. We will share Personal Information with companies, organizations, or individuals outside of Calico when permissible under our partner agreements or we have your consent to do so. We require opt-in consent for the sharing of any Personal Information relating to sensitive Personal Information (i.e., confidential medical facts, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs, or sexuality).
- With our business partners. We share Personal Information with our business partners, such as companies with which we jointly sponsor and/or administer research projects or jointly develop and/or market products. In such cases, our business partner’s name will appear along with ours.
- For external processing. We provide Personal Information to our affiliates
or other trusted businesses or persons to process it for us, based on our instructions and
With respect to onward transfers to Agents under Privacy Shield, Privacy Shield requires that Calico remain liable should its Agents process Personal Information in a manner inconsistent with the Privacy Shield Principles.
- For legal reasons. We will share Personal Information with companies,
organizations, or individuals outside of Calico if we have a good-faith belief that access,
use, preservation, or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary or advisable,
- meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request;
- seek approval of and/or comply with oversight and review requirements related to any of our products and services;
- detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, or technical issues; or
- protect against harm to the rights, property, or safety of Calico, our users, or the public as required or permitted by law.
- Business transactions. We reserve the right to disclose or transfer any
information we have about you in the event of a proposed or actual purchase, any
reorganization, sale, lease, merger, joint venture, assignment, amalgamation or any other
type of acquisition, disposal or financing of all or any portion of our business or of any
of the business assets or shares (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar
proceeding). Should such an event occur, Calico will endeavor to direct the transferee to
All Personal Information sent or collected via or by Calico may be stored anywhere in the world, including but not limited to, in the United States, in the cloud, our servers, the servers of our affiliates or the servers of our service providers.
Rights of Access, Rectification, Erasure and Restriction
The security of all Personal Information provided to Calico is important to us, and Calico takes reasonable steps designed to protect your Personal Information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while Calico strives to protect your Personal Information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to Calico, and you do so at your own risk. If you have reason to believe that your Personal Information is no longer secure, please promptly notify Calico at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calico will comply with agreements that limit how we use information provided to us.
Due to the nature of Calico’s business, services and benefits are not marketed to children. Calico does not knowingly solicit or collect Personal Information from children. If we learn that we have collected Personal Information from a child, we will promptly delete that information.
Questions & Enforcement
Calico Life Sciences, LLC
1170 Veterans Blvd.
South San Francisco, CA 94080
Calico will address your concerns and attempt to resolve any privacy issues in a timely